Wednesday, April 2, 2008

watching fish and other creatures @ sungei buloh










visitors to the sungei buloh wetland reserve normally go there to watch the migratory birds. the two types of birds that i usually see and i am able to identify are the egrets and herons on the mudflats. however, i actually go there to watch the fish in the sungei buloh besar. i saw more fish during my last visit when the tide was low.


from the main bridge, you look down into the water and you can see the banded archerfish, the needle fish and sometimes, the milk fish and the spotted archerfish. there are other fish, like the tilapia and snake fish, in the ponds within the reserve.


today, apart from the commonly seen monitor lizards, squirrels and giant mudskippers, i came across a jungle fowl near the public car-park and a huge caterpillar on a shrub within the man's toilet.

2 comments:

JollyGreenP said...

Fantastic, two consecutive blogs to remind me of my last visit to Singapore last November/December. We stayed at the SHAH Villa and our room overlooked a tall mango tree that attracted several Orioles throughout the day. We also visited Sungei Buloh Wetlands reserve and had a wonderful day there, well worth the effort of getting there. My wife was amazed when she nearly tripped over a monitor lizard at the entrance but then we saw a lot more basking around the reserve as we walked around. I wished that I had brought my binoculars with me so that I could have a closer look at the waders.

Thank you for triggering memories of an enjoyable visit with your memorable blog. I suppose at some time we will see a blog on the Changi Boardwalk which my wife and I visited with Chun See and Peter.

yg said...

i am glad that it brought back happy memories of your last visit. i have been to the changi boardwalk a few times, and i blogged about it in my previous blog (ygblog2)on nov 9, 2007. i prefer to do the walk at changi in the evening, where if you are lucky, you can watch the glorious sunset at sunset walk.