Wednesday, January 2, 2008
























walk to memory lane


this morning i covered part of the kallang park connector - the whampoa part of it. started my journey from jalan rajah, i walked past the nkf building and the majid hajah rahimabi kebun limau.

just before whampoa drive, i made a detour to the newly reopened whampoa food centre. the banners stated that the upgraded centre of blocks 90 and 91 were officially opened on 15 december 2007.

the whole place seems to have a new look. it took me a while to identify the place. it was only confirmed when i saw familiar names like loy kee chicken rice and hoover road rojak. in the past when i visited the food centre, i would go for the rojak, duck rice or the fried oyster omelette.

i did not stop to eat. i crossed the overhead bridge that spans the central expressway to get to may road. may road eventually links up with serangoon. i recognise that stretch of the whampoa canal. i used to dive past this canal practically every day when we were living at towner road until 1997.

the water in this stretch of the canal is not as clean as the water in the lower reaches, which i had covered in earlier walks. apart from discarded items floating in the water, there were a lot of leaves from the seashore malapari (pongamia pinnata) found growing alongside the canal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ivy,

Interestin blog. I wished I could come up with something like yours. I got my own under 'dahalanembun', but very boring though, too 'heavy' for young people.

Anyway, I am interested in the sweet plant, trevia. My daughter lives at Johor Baru, UTM. Can I get some trevia plants through you. I shall pay for all expenses for say 5 plants. I shall be most grateful if you could assist me. Thank you. Dahalan Embun

yg said...

hi dahalan,

the sweet leaf plant can be bought from this farm at lim chu kang ave 4. the farm actually grows a lot of dragon fruit cacti. it is next to the goat farm, the hay dairies.

by the way, i am yg ong. ivy and ida are the names of my two daughters.

thanks for visiting my blog.